Monday, June 24, 2013

Crockpot French Dip & Roasted Radishes


Mmm - Mmm!
Don't you just love when you come and dinner is already made?
I know I do!!!
Plus, I ALSO love when I have enough leftovers for dinner the next night - Sweet!

Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches is an easy-peasy recipe-peasy     
 (I apologize...not sure where that comment came from...must be the inner "cornball" comin' out.)
Wanna know how easy this is?
Just literally 1) open cans, 2) put a roast in the crock pot, and 3) push start
Yeah. 
I'm not lyin'.
It's that easy.

Okay, well you do have to shred the roast with a fork when you get home and assemble the sammies, but, ya know, that's so easy, say...the hubby could help? (Just a thought.)


I served this with a side of Chips & Dip and Roasted Radishes
Yeppers! Roasted Radishes!

I spontaneously purchased a bag of radishes the other day during my grocery run, and, thought I'd eat them raw. Well, apparently, it's been a looong time since this chick has eaten raw radishes - them suckers are hot! Whew! After I ate one, I scoured the Internet for "cooking radishes." Gotta find a solution - I just didn't think I would eat a whole bag of 'em raw. So, what did I find?
The aforementioned Roasted Radishes.
Huh. I honestly have never thought of or didn't think I had ever tasted of cooked radishes. 
When you think you've tasted it all.....

A blogger wrote that the bitter hotness is magically transformed into "soft and luscious."
Well, it was time for me to find out. 


Wow! Who knew?!?! (Obviously, not I.)
Roasted Radishes are waaay different than raw radishes! Say good-bye to hot-bitter-crunchy wang (that's probably not a word.) From now on, I will not shy away from radishes but look forward to the roasty-goodness. If you are currently not a lover of radishes, I highly recommend roasting them. I strongly think your mind will be changed.


Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches - LINK HERE for original recipe
Ingredients:
3 lbs chuck roast

  • 1 (10 3/4 oz) can French onion soup
  • 1 (10 3/4 oz) can beef consomme
  • 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed beef broth*
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules*
  • **I also added spices: 1 Tbs dried parsley, 1 tsp dried onion, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, & 1/2 black pepper
  • Provolone, slice (optional)
  • 8 -10 kimmelwick or hoagie rolls
*(I omitted the beef broth and added extra au jus base + water instead.)


Directions:
1) Cut roast in half, place pieces into crockpot.
2) Combine canned soups with bouillon granules-DO NOT DILUTE SOUPS!
4) Pour over meat. Add additional spices, if desired.
5) Cover, cook on low 8 hours.
6) Remove meat from crockpot,shred with forks.
7) Skim fat from aujus in crockpot.
8) Return meat to crockpot, to rewarm.
9) Pile meat (and Provolone, if desired) on rolls.
10) Serve juice as dipping sauce on the side.

***

Thyme & Dill Roasted Radishes 

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Radishes, cleaned and halved
  • 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Tbs dried Dill
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste


Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2) Combine all ingredients on a cookie sheet
3) Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
4) Serve and Yum!

2 comments:

  1. All your recipes sound great! I seriously need to get my crockpot out again. I always stick with just cooking meatballs in there, but need to expand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my crockpot! I have not tried cooking meatballs in it - I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete